Sentinel-2 Water Edges Dataset (SWED)
Authors: Catherine Seale, Thomas Redfern, Paul Chatfield
Organsation: UK Hydrographic Office, Taunton, UK
Corresponding author: Catherine Seale
Contact Information: email@example.com
Sentinel-2 Water Edges Dataset contains pairs of images and corresponding segmentation labels, intended for training image segmentation algorithms. The labels contain two classes indicated by binary values – water (1) and non-water (0). The creation of this dataset is part of an on-going effort by the UKHO Data Science team to promote the development of machine learning and deep learning for marine applications. The data is available under the Geospatial Commission Data Exploration license.
Download the full dataset
Note: this will download a large file (approx. 18Gb).
Download full dataset
Download a sample of the dataset
Choosing this option will download a smaller sample for evaluation purposes (approx. 1.36Gb)
The Data Exploration License
- Is free of charge.
- Lets you use UKHO Exploration Data for 12 months from the download of the Exploration Data, unless we tell you, or you and we agree, something else. It will renew automatically every 12 months on the anniversary of the download of the Exploration Data unless either of you or we choose to end it. ‘UKHO Exploration Data’ means the UKHO datasets that you have access to and which are designated as Exploration Data. This License will automatically end if 24 months have elapsed since your last request for updates to any Exploration Data.
- Includes both this page and the small print below. Please read all terms before accessing any UKHO Exploration Data so that you understand this License and what we agree you can and can’t do with Exploration Data.
- Lets you do any of the things we list below. So, you can:
- Evaluate Exploration Data to see if what we’re offering is what you need.
- Use Exploration Data to research and develop your ideas and propositions. It doesn’t matter if you’re not sure yet how Exploration Data might help you. For example, you may want to assess it for a potential commercial opportunity or see what potential benefits and value it could bring to you, helping you build your case for licensing Exploration Data for use in your business or organisation. Note these research and development rights are subject to the provisions below regarding live trials or tests.
- Display Exploration Data or create working prototypes using Exploration Data to demonstrate and promote on your own equipment how your ideas or propositions for using our data would work, which is ideal if you’re talking to potential customers, agents, investors or other financial backers. With our prior agreement, you can also provide prototypes for a short time to any of these people on equivalent terms to this License solely to help them to make a better assessment of your idea or proposition. We will work with you to enable this to happen, where possible.
- Use Exploration Data in live trials or tests within your business or organisation for up to 3 months to determine whether you wish to license it as an internal business aid immediately after your live trial.
- Use small extracts of UKHO Data (or data created from it under another license) in time-bound events that promote collaboration and innovation, to provide better insight into specific uses or develop ideas or answer particular questions, for example, as part of competitions, hackathons and mash-ups.
- Publish small extracts of UKHO Data to promote your use of UKHO Data in articles and at events that intend to share or widen knowledge (such as academic papers, trade journals or industry conferences).
In return, we ask you to:
- Provide us with information about you and/or your company or organisation as requested when you register to access Exploration Data so that we know who we are licensing and what you are wanting to do.
- Acknowledge that you’re using Exploration Data and that you’re doing so in the right way. Please note this doesn’t mean you can use UKHO branding or trademarks or anything that can be confused with them.
- Make sure any prototypes you provide or any UKHO Data you provide (or data created from it under another UKHO license) is showing the notice ‘Not to be used for Navigation’ and is returned to you or destroyed within 7 days of the end of the assessment or event. Tell us in advance if doing this might disrupt your longer-term plans and we can discuss appropriate licensing.
- Take sensible measures to make sure all Exploration Data supplied to you is secure from any unauthorised use or access.
Under this license you must not do the following:
- Unless we expressly permit you to do so above, make any Exploration Data available to third parties or create any products or services which have benefitted from, relied on or made any use of Exploration Data (including, without limitation, where you have created your products or services by copying, publishing, modifying, re-formatting, analysing or performing searches, look ups or enquiries using Exploration Data). You agree that, if you want to make Exploration Data available in this way, you will tell us and will not proceed until we agree the basis on which that can happen.
The Small Print
This license is between the United Kingdom Hydrographic Office, (we/us/our/UKHO) and the person or organisation who downloads the Exploration Data (you/your). Our address is The United Kingdom Hydrographic Office, Admiralty Way, TAUNTON, Somerset, TA1 2DN. You and we are each a party and together the parties.
Subject to the restrictions referred to in this license, we grant you a non-exclusive, non-transferable, revocable license to use Exploration Data for 12 months from the download of the Exploration Data for the permitted purposes described in the table above.
By downloading Exploration Data, you agree to be bound by these terms and conditions. These terms and conditions form the license between you and us (license).
This license commences with effect from the date you first request access to Exploration Data.
3. Intellectual Property Rights
We and/or our suppliers (including the Crown) own all the intellectual property rights in Exploration Data. All rights not expressly granted are reserved to UKHO and its licensors (including the Crown).
At our request, you will give us reasonable details about your intended use for Exploration Data under this license by whatever means we might reasonably request.
5. No Warranty
It is your responsibility to ensure that the Exploration Data you request is what you need. Exploration Data is provided ‘as is’ and without any warranty or condition express or implied, statutory or otherwise as to its quality or fitness for purpose. Except as expressly stated in this license, all conditions, warranties, terms and undertakings express or implied statutory or otherwise in respect of the Exploration Data are hereby excluded to the fullest extent permitted by law.
There is nothing in this license that excludes or limits your liability for an infringement or breach of the intellectual property rights in Exploration Data.
Neither party excludes its liability to the other under this license for fraud, and for personal injury or death caused either by its negligence or that of its employees and authorised subcontractors and agents.
Subject to the above, neither party shall be liable to the other for indirect, special or consequential loss or damage or any other financial loss (howsoever caused) which occurs as a result of the use of, or lack of performance of the Exploration Data.
Either party may terminate this license with immediate effect. Termination or expiry of this license shall not affect either party’s accrued rights and remedies. On the termination of this license you shall (except in respect of any Exploration Data for which at the time of termination or expiry, you have an appropriate license from UKHO):
- immediately cease using the Exploration Data;
- destroy (or at our option return) all Exploration Data under this license that you hold or for which you are responsible including any Exploration Data that is embedded into any other material and provide written confirmation that you have done so at our request;
- make sure anyone else you have supplied Exploration Data to under this license also adheres to these conditions.
Any provision that is expressly or by implication intended to survive the termination or expiry of this license shall continue in full force and effect.
8. Data protection and privacy
You shall comply with all relevant laws and regulations relating to the processing of personal data and privacy, including, without limitation:
- any data protection legislation from time to time in force in the UK, including the Data Protection Act 2018;
- unless and until the General Data Protection Regulation ((EU) 2016/679) (the GDPR) is no longer directly applicable in the UK, the GDPR and any national implementing laws, regulations and secondary legislation, as amended or updated from time to time, in the UK; and
- any successor legislation to the Data Protection Act 2018 and/or the GDPR.
Neither party shall disclose to any person (either during the term of this license or after), any confidential information belonging to the other party which is in its possession as a result of this license unless with the consent of the other party or due to a legal, governmental or regulatory requirement. You acknowledge that we are bound by the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and the Environment Information Regulations 2004 and you will provide such assistance, without charge, as we shall reasonably request to assist us in complying with these statutes.
8. Other General Provisions
This license sets out the entire agreement and understanding between you and us in respect of the subject matter of this license.
We may change any part of this license, including the availability of the Exploration Data, at any time with immediate effect. If you continue to access updates of any Exploration Data after any such change is made, you shall be deemed to have accepted the modified terms. If you do not wish to accept the modified terms, you must terminate this Agreement by giving us written notice. It is therefore recommended that you regularly review this license so that you are aware of the latest terms.
Any notice under this license shall be affected when given to your registered e-mail address.
You shall not assign, transfer or novate rights and obligations under this license. We shall be entitled to assign, transfer or novate the benefits and obligations of this license to any government body or nominated subcontractor or, in the event of the transfer of all or any of our activities or functions to any other entity, to the entity to which our functions have been transferred. You expressly agree to the assumption of our obligations under this license by that entity.
This license is governed by English law and both parties agree to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts.
A person who is not a party to this license has no rights under the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 to enforce or enjoy the benefit of any term of this license.
News and updates
October 2021: Dataset published.
January 2022: Sample link added.
The Sentinel-2 Water Edges Dataset is based on Sentinel-2 imagery.
Images are of an array shape 256 x 256 x 12 – the 12 bands corresponding to Sentinel-2 bands in the order they are supplied by the European Space Agency. Labels have shape 256 x 256 x 1 – only one band is required for the segmentation mask.
Image and label pairs can be identified by their matching filenames as below:
The dataset contains an independent test set to enable comparative study of deep learning models.
Information regarding tidal state of images in the test set can be obtained in this associated csv.
While you are here
Check out our blog for updates on our work!